Sault College Retirees
About Us
Retiree Benefits
Retirees' Awards
Retiree Newsletter
Photo Gallery
Paw Print
We Remember
Sault College Logo


What does that bring to mind for you? Let your thoughts and your senses take over. Where will you go, what do you want to do and how do you get there? Will I travel within Canada or will I go abroad? Your decisions will determine what your next steps will be.

Where to start?
You need to get your trip off to a healthy start. In preparation for travel there are a number of things you need to consider in order to make your experience as enjoyable as possible.

Foremost considerations in the planning stages of a trip are you want to have fun but you also want to stay safe and healthy. Details for your trip should be worked out with a reputable Travel Agent and I would recommend that you also have a health consultation with a health professional (The Algoma Health Unit
can provide this service). You may also consult with the World Health Organization and other travel health resources – addresses for these can be obtained from the Algoma Health Unit ( or at 294 Willow Avenue, Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, P6B 0A9 (705)942-4646 or toll free 1-866- 892-0172).

Algoma Public Health has a Vaccine Preventable Diseases Program to assist travelers with   questions.  Appointments may be booked with a consultant by calling 541-7085.  There is a charge for these services and for the immunizations.  Be sure to check with your insurance provider if they will pay for these costs.  Further information and requirements for travelling abroad may be obtained online from the following websites:

Algoma Public Health:

Travel Health Online:

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:

Public Health Agency of Canada:

MD Travel Health:

Health Canada:


There are many other useful sources of information to help you in the planning of your trip.

Some of these include:

Transport Canada can provide you with useful information related to travel by air, rail, road or waterway. The tips they provide will help you travel safe and travel smart. Their web site address is:

The Consular Affairs Bureau of the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade provides information and assistance to Canadians abroad. The Web site provides you with information on foreign destinations, what to do before you go, problems abroad, publications, country travel reports/travel
warnings and information related to drugs and travel. They also provide a registry for Canadians travelling abroad. They provide 24 hr. a day, 7 day assistance. You can contact them at

On the web page is a listing of Consular Assistance Toll Free numbers. Before you depart, jot down the number for the country you will be visiting. Before you leave, you may want to make note of the location of the closest Canadian embassy in the country you are visiting and how you can contact them.

The University Health Network has a Tropical Disease Unit. The Unit is one of very few travel clinics in the Canada offering comprehensive health advice and services for travellers. They offer pre-travel advice including helping travellers manage health needs while they are away. They may be reached at: or by telephone - (416)340-3675.

The following contact information should help you in your quest for a passport. Passport applications may be obtained at the larger postal outlets. Please remember to give plenty of time to process your passport application. Sending your passport through the local member of parliament can help expedite processing.

Contact information for the passport office is as follows:
by Telephone – 1-800-567-6868, via the Internet at or in writing to:

Passport Office, Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade
Ottawa ON K1A 0G3, Canada.

Safe and Happy Journeys.


Page Maintained by: Carolene Coutu | Last Updated November 2016